Hiding Title = can't use with other JS

Strodtbeck

22 Nov, 2010 04:26 PM

Since tipTip hides the title attribute it does not seem possible to use it with other JS tools that need to use the title attribute.
e.g. lightbox, colorbox,

I don't know much JS but I know other tool tip plugins don't over-take the title in this way.
I really like the tipTip plugin for it's "intelligence" and flexibility but his bug hurts it significantly.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Drew Wilson on 22 Nov, 2010 05:18 PM

tiptip allows you to decide which attribute to use, using the tiptip option "attribute". You don't have to use the Title attribute. you can also use no attribute at all if you use the following tiptip option: "content"

thanks!

Drew

2. 2 Posted by Strodtbeck on 22 Nov, 2010 07:33 PM

Drew,
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

From what I understand, that just means that I can't use tipTip with another JS that will also need to use the same attribute.

In other words, how can I use the anchor title for tipTip & something like lightbox/Colorbox type plugins? Since they use that attribute also.
    I want to use the title attribute for tipTip but if I do then I can't use it for something else. . . so, setting the attribute in tipTip doesn't solve that problem--I'll just have a tipTip tool tip and a title mouse-over title tip = ugly.

For example, vTip is a simple tool tip plugin. . . much simpler, nonetheless, if I use it I can have a tool tip on an image that opens in Colorbox, botyh using the same title attribute. It does not hide the title attribute so other JS can't interact with it.

I hope that's clearer.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Drew Wilson on 22 Nov, 2010 08:03 PM

you can use the "content" option in tiptip instead of an attribute.

set the "content" optionto have a value of the "title" attribute.
    like so:

{content: $(this).attr("title")}

thanks!

Drew

4. 4 Posted by Strodtbeck on 22 Nov, 2010 08:44 PM

Thanks for the replies!
    That did something very odd. It is adding the title of the page, I believe. or an anchor before the UL class specified. . . but it also adds the content tool tip and you still have the mouse over title tip because the title element is being used:

Here are some images of what happens:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaYPHs_S2rFrZHpwd3Zxel83ODNmOW00...

While I may be generally clueless when it comes to JS I've read and tried everything in the documentation for tipTip and searched the internet for fixes for similar conflicts or a workaround. Was not able to find anything that worked for this. What I did learn is that some other tool tips have a similar conflict, not all obviously.

Basically, how can tipTip & Colorbox both use the title attribute?
    I know it's possible lol. . . as other tool tips do it. . . they just aren't as good as tipTip in other areas.

5. 5 Posted by Strodtbeck on 23 Nov, 2010 01:38 AM

Sorry, I don't know how this ended up in this forum and no the tipTip forum. . just realized that when I went to the tipTip forum.

6. 6 Posted by Dan D on 26 Nov, 2010 07:29 AM

Comment out line 61 in jquery.tipTip.js

change from
    org_elem.removeAttr(opts.attribute); //remove original Attribute

to
    //org_elem.removeAttr(opts.attribute); //remove original Attribute

7. 7 Posted by Strodtbeck on 26 Nov, 2010 02:13 PM

Dan, Thanks for the attempt however, by commenting out that line you allow the browser to display the title along with tiptip displaying the tool tip = two title attributes on hover. goal = only tiptip should show tool tip but when image is clicked the caption should also show in Colorbox/Lightbox.

I found that the jQuery vTip plugin can be slightly modified to allow HTML in the title attribute and does not have this type of conflict, though I don't know enough JS to change tiptip. . . so, at the moment I'm using vTip along with tiptip.

Thanks

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac